How to Start a Blog in 30 Minutes
How to Start a Blog in 30 Minutes
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Now you have probably a lot of questions. How the heck do you get started? There’s so much info out there on the web, and everyone’s telling you to do different things. Who do you listen to? Where’s the starting point?
Click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use my tutorial below for the easy directions.
I used to be a blogging newbie too. Everybody must start from somewhere, remember there is no shortcut to success. I also had a lot of problems, when creating my blog. That is why I decided to write a guide on how to start a blog.
Today, you will learn how to create a blog on your own and how to start a WordPress blog. So first what is WordPress? This is simply the software you’ll use to run your blog. As far as I’m concerned, there’s only one real blog platform, and that’s WordPress.
Blogging allows you to do what you feel passionate about and make money at the same time. The perfect combination right?
With blogging, I am able to work from home or where I want. I can travel whenever I want, I have a flexible schedule and more. Anyone can make money with a blog, and bloggers usually get back the money that they paid for hosting very quickly.
The good thing about blogging is that you can start a money-making blog for just a few dollars a month.
If you are looking to start a WordPress blog for cheap, the first step is to find a hosting service. There are many cheap and reliable hosting services for WordPress out there, and one of the best is Bluehost. In case you don’t know, Bluehost is one of the officially recommended hosts by WordPress, which is a big deal.
The thing that I like about Bluehost is they give your optimum performance when running WordPress. They offer unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, premium support, and everything else that you need for running a successful WordPress blog.
Bluehost gives you the opportunity to start your own blog for as low as $3.95/month. If you sign up using my link, you will get a FREE domain($15 dollar value) in case you purchase a 12 month or longer hosting plan. I would recommend signing up for a 12-month hosting plan. First of all is affordable and you also save a lot of money for signing up for at least 12 months.
For the people that now are thinking “Well I can just start on Blogspot/Blogger for a little cheaper”, I’d say a big NO. Why?
Well if you are interested in ever making money off your blog, brand site or turning it into a business, then paying for a hosting is a MUST. It is also extremely cheap as well if you go with Bluehost and you get a FREE domain.
What does it mean to have your own hosting server through Bluehost? You can run any advertisements you want, place affiliate links, direct advertising, etc. Shortly, there is an infinite number of possibilities for you to monetize your blog. Making money on Blogspot/Blogger or any other free blogging platform is very difficult, and in most of the cases, it never happens. Most business associates, advertisers, and companies tend to run away from free blogging platforms because they don’t view you as a professional blog, which is another reason for you to use Bluehost.
• Bluehost makes is it very easy to create a WordPress blog. By following my tutorial below, you won’t have any problems.
• Bluehost web hosting offers TECHNICAL support.
• Bluehost is extremely cheap and affordable. For just $3.95/month you can have your own blog.
• Bluehost offers a 30-Day Hosting Money-back Guarantee in case you are not satisfied with it. In case you sign up for Bluehost, and you are confused for any reason like how to set it up, pick a plan, pricing, advantages, and disadvantages you can always send me an email at [email protected] and I will help you out.
• You will be self-hosted. Being self-host is the first thing to do if you want to monetize your blog.
• Your blog will rank much higher in search engines as Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. This means a lot more readers and attention to your blog.
• Your blog will appear much more professional to your readers, business associates, companies, etc.
To start your self-hosted blog first, you to head on over to Bluehost to do any of this. Honestly, there are many web hosting companies out there, but Bluehost is one of the best.
So if you plan on starting a blog on Bluehost and you are interested in how to start a WordPress blog, continue with my tutorial below. Remember in case you get confused with anything, you can always send me an email and I will help you out.
How to start a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
Click here to purchase the hosting plan. Once you have selected which hosting plan you want, you will be asked to give them a domain name, then continue to follow the steps below.
The very first thing you will need to do when starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost is to think about what you want your domain name to be. I know this can be though, so I am going to give you some advice on how to choose the best possible domain name for your blog.
• The name should be short and catchy. Makes it easier for people to remember.
• Use only letters. By using any other characters than letters, makes it hard to remember and easy to type incorrectly.
• Don’t cram “keywords” into your domain. Using keywords is fine, but only if they actually make sense.
• Choose words that are easy to spell.
• Use .com if available.
Remember through my link, you will get the domain name for FREE, as long as you buy 12 months or more Bluehost web hosting. This makes it well worth it to sign up for at least 12 months of hosting since to buy the domain name yourself will cost you $15. If you decide to go for Bluehost and get a FREE domain just follow the next set, where I explain how to buy your hosting and get the FREE domain.
To receive the cheapest price to start your blog, then choosing the “Basic” plan is really all you need. It is only $3.95/month if you sign up for 36 months, which is actually a great price. If you sign up for a 24-month plan then the price is $4.95/month. If you decide to sign up for a 12-month plan then the price is $5.45/month. I’d say again for having a self-hosted blog and a FREE domain $4.95/month or $5.45/month is still extremely affordable and cheap.
In case you are unsure about blogging, I suggest you sign up for the 12-month plan.
If you decide to go for the 12 month plan, your total price is only $65 a year, which is still a great price, considering that you still receive the FREE domain name through my link.
The Basic plan is all you need for now, so I’d suggest that you just skip the Plus and Business Pro plans as they are more expensive. In the future, if you decide on taking a different and bigger plan you can always change it and just pay the difference, so there is no need to sign up for extra when you don’t need it.
Why purchase at least a 12-month hosting plan? Month-to-month is less effective, and I highly recommend signing up for a minimum of 12 months.
By signing up for the 12-month hosting plan of Bluehost, you receive a FREE domain name, lower pricing and you won’t need to deal with an expired website after each month. By this I mean if hosting is not renewed, then your website is going to go down and you risk losing your business. Also, the prices when you pay for a month to month basis are much higher.
Bluehost web hosting is going to cost you most likely around $65 a year on average, or $142 for 3 years, both are great deals.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy web hosting for your blog:
1. Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
2. Click on the package you are interested in.
3. Enter the Domain name that you chose.
4. Enter your personal and payment information.
5. Enter your password.
Step 3: Connect your domain and your hosting
Note: You can skip this section (Section 3) if you got your domain directly through Bluehost.
If you already have a domain and you bought it through Go Daddy or some other company, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account.
If you bought your domain through Go Daddy, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. Go Daddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Here is a snippet:
When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name’s nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using GoDaddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
1. Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
2. Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
3. Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
4. Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
You will also need to add the domain you bought from GoDaddy as an addon domain to your Bluehost web hosting. You do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Bluehost web hosting account, enter the Domain name and click on “assign”. Just follow the steps it is pretty easy.
Step 4: Install WordPress on Bluehost.
Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE. Once you sign up for your Bluehost account, you’ll receive login information for your website’s Cpanel account. This is simply how you’ll access the “back end” of your site (you won’t need to use Cpanel on a regular basis…it’s just for the more “technical” aspects of running your site).
Now you can access your Cpanel account at www.yoursite.com/cpanel (of course, substitute your own domain name here).
1. Once you’re logged into your Cpanel l account, you’ll see a box. See that orange Install WordPress icon? Click on it now!
2. Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. You can pick any theme you want, you can change your theme at any point so it is not a big deal. Or if you don’t want to pick a theme yet just skip this step. There are a lot of FREE themes too.
3. Click on “Start Building”
4. On the next screen, you will be asked to choose “Personal” or “Business” – it is up to you. You can also click “I don’t need help”.
CONGRATULATIONS now you have a WordPress Blog. I’d say this again if you encountered any problems during the set up send me an email at [email protected] and I will help you out.
General WordPress Tips
• For signing up into your WordPress, you will receive the login information in a separate email. This email contains your WordPress Login URL and all the login information, so be careful with this email.
• You can add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in. If you want to add a page, simply click on “Page.”
• If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side.
• You can go to “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
• If you are looking for a way to get email subscribers and send them newsletters or emails to your readers, I recommend ConvertKit.
Your WordPress blog will serve you well for many years to come. By switching up your theme and adding new widgets and plugins, you can continue to keep your blog fresh and up-to-date with the click of a button.
If you used this post to get your blog set up, I’d love to hear about it! How was the setup process for you? And where can I find your blog? Leave a comment below.